Literature Inspired HTML & CSS Web Art: The Schroedinger's Cat Trilogy

by Cooper Dozier, 2011 & 2018

Enter PFS Home

[ [ List of project pages at bottom ] ]
This is a newly search engine optimized version of a project for a Bellarmine University course in Web Art in 2011. Correct, complete, and up to date code was emphasized and positioning and image optimization were covered extensively. The project requirements included a fixed width dimension of 780 pixels so that everyone, including those with old technology, could have a good UX/design experience. Titles, and, I believe, alt text, were required as well, though I don't think I did a very good job with them back then.

The pages' <p> texts are of 3 types: page 1, Pay Attention., is a loose riff on a theme from the book, pages 2, 3, & 9 used partial automatism, in the form of cutting up texts and drawing random pieces, but I edited and cherry picked the 'cut ups' a bit to have a semblance of normal syntax, and the other pages contain quotations from the book itself with related line drawings. All the art is original, although one of the background tiles incorporated a scan of an advertisement fragment as one of the photoshop layers (the brain cortex texture illustration).

The late Robert Anton Wilson, the author of The Schroedinger's Cat Trilogy, has written that he used 'mechanical' methods, such as cut-ups, in constructing some of his works. There are animated image links in 3 places that don't appear until the page has been open a certain count of seconds, although they're clickable any time. I remember a painting professor once telling the class that she had burned all the work she'd done as a student. I, in contrast, still quite like some of mine.

The textbook we used was very good, but I cannot recall the title today (2/25/2018). The doctype we were using at the time was XHTML 1.0 Strict. Aside from this newly created page, the changes I've made are mainly invisible on the surface. I made additions and alterations of image alt-text, title tags, meta description tags, page & image URLs, and the project directory name, as well as other SEO relevant changes site-wide. <The doctype declarations have all been changed to html (for HTML 5) without any degradation of the style or layout I have found.> Aside from the stylesheet I created for this page, the only CSS change I've made to it since way back when has been to change 'nav' from an id to a class, because I needed it in two places on this page.